September 8, 2008

Spicy Peanut Ramen: Dorm Friendly!

So I was feeling lazy yet creative yesterday and decided to make my first vegan-prep recipe. We had left over Top Ramen from backpacking, so I decided to give the college student's favorite meal a vegan makeover. It was undoubtedly a major success. I used all items I will have in my dorm room (if I nab a lemon from the soda area in the cafeteria) and it was wonderful. In fact, I saved the three bites I didn't eat so I could have them later.


Spicy Peanut Dorm Room Ramen

1 package ramen (any flavor since we wont use flavoring)
1.5 T creamy peanut butter
1 C + 2 T water
1 tbs soy sauce
1t lemon juice
2t rice vinegar (or more lemon juice)
1/2 t hot sauce
a few chunks tofu (I used Willowood Brand spicy Thai flavor)
2 chopped baby carrots
2 chopped green beans or any crunchy veggie I can find
handful of crushed nuts (I used Chili Lime Cashews from Trader Joe's)

1. Crush ramen in package. Dump contents into bowl with 1 cup water and microwave for two minutes. Drain excess water.
2. Add peanut butter, rest of water, lemon juice, vinegar and hot sauce and mix well.
3. Sprinkle rest of ingredients on top.
4. Enjoy.

This was quick, CHEAP, delish, kinda healthy and good cold too! What more could a vegan college student want??

4 comments:

Ashley said...

ramen noodles are my best friend since I've been in college. The recipe sounds great (although I've never been a fan of the peanut-butter-noodle combo). You can also make great spaghetti with ramen.

KP said...

How nice to update ramen noodles with a vegan version!
It sounds pretty tasty, and perfectly easy to make in a dorm room!

theBeatnik said...

Great idea! I'm trying this when I get home tonight.

Maria Rose said...

I was a huge fan of this recipe during my undergrad. Good job, jazzing things up. It is really difficult to eat an interesting array of food from the dorm room and on a student budget.